For those of you in that part of the population that did not read The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown (which by the way you are part of the bunch that choose not to conform and went ahead and sat there watching TV or whatever else you do) or even go to see or rent the damn movie, the prequel (that I, unlike the droves of people who read DaVinci before, read first! and I’m proud to say that I at least read them in order)Angels & Demons, that had been rumored to start shooting in February, has been pushed back…due to the writer’s strike!
Da Vinci Code Sequel Pushed Back
November 16, 2007
Sony Pictures said Friday it is postponing production on Angels & Demons, the prequel to last year’s megahit The Da Vinci Code starring Tom Hanks.
According to Variety, “Da Vinci Code” screenwriter Akiva Goldsman’s script was rushed to meet the WGA’s Nov. 1 deadline for reaching a new contract with producers, and came in with insurmountable problems. Furthermore, no cast had signed on beyond Hanks.
The Vatican-set thriller was scheduled to begin shooting in February, with Ron Howard at the helm. The studio had set a Christmas 2008 release date.
“While the filmmakers and the studio feel the screenplay is very strong, we do not believe it is the fully realized production draft required of this ambitious project,” a Sony spokesperson said. “At this time, there is no new start date for ‘Angels & Demons,’ but we are setting a release date of May 15, 2009, and are hopeful to deliver the movie worldwide to theaters on that date. We do not expect any other film on our 2008 slate to be affected.”
You have no idea how happy this makes me. In a town where films a rushed into production to meet a summer realse date deadline and come out looking like crap, this is a breath of fresh air. Bravo to those in power that said they have to wait till this thing is at least 90-95% ready to go. If only everyone felt the same way, maybe they’d actually earn a lot more millions of dollars (or dare I say, billions) instead of constantly loosing it.